Home Delivered Meals Program
Meal Delivery Service to Homebound Rockland County Resident
Meals on Wheels provides peace of mind to caregivers and older adults by delivering nutritious meals to any Rockland resident who cannot shop or cook for themselves due to illness, physical disability or advanced age. In addition to the daily meal, caring volunteers deliver a friendly, personal connection, a safety check, and an important link to the greater community. Home delivered meals, along with all of our services, are part of a greater continuum of care that enable older adults to remain as independent as possible and living in their own home.
- A hot lunch and/or cold dinner are delivered weekdays between 10am-1pm 52 weeks per year including Holidays.
- Weekend meals are available.
- Meals are prepared fresh daily by talented chefs and dedicated dietary staff.
- Meals are Heart Healthy.
- Able to accommodate therapeutic and mechanically altered meals.
- Menus are professionally designed by a Registered Dietician who is licensed by the American Dietetic Association.
- Daily check by a caring volunteer.
- In home assessments conducted by a Case Worker.
- Referral source of services throughout the county.
- Caring cards - This program provides youth the opportunity to make holiday cards that will be delivered along with meals.
- Pet Pantry - For many seniors their beloved pet keeps them vibrant and motivated to stay healthy. Removing the burden of
the cost of pet food helps them immeasurably. In addition, financial assistance to struggling pet owners can prevent pet
surrender to shelters and keep vulnerable pet families together.
- Miles of Smiles - Good oral health affects the whole body. Bacteria built up on teeth and gums can cause multiple
complications such as pneumonia, stroke, heart disease and more. Meals on Wheels keep smiles bright by delivering
a miles of smiles packet along with meals.
- Blizzard Boxes - This emergency food program evolved to insure that the Agency's homebound recipients have a sufficient supply of non-perishable food items in case of weather related emergency.
- No one will be denied access to meal service because of his/her inability to contribute towards the cost of meals. However, there may be a waiting list for public or privately subsidized meal service.
To determine eligibility or for more information about Home Delivered Meals services please call (845) 624-6325.
Research Backed Evidence Confirms "More than a Meal" Benefit
Meals on Wheels of American released the results of The More Than a Meal Research Study, on March 2, 2015. The study, conducted by Brown University and funded by AARP Foundation, not surprisingly, reveals significant impact of meal service delivery on the health and well-being of adults 60 years of age and older.
Key findings include:
- Those receiving and/or requesting Meals on Wheels services are significantly more vulnerable compared to a nationally representative sample of aging Americans.
- Those who received daily-delivered meals experienced the greatest improvements in health and quality of life indicators over the study period compared to the control groups.
- Those who lived alone and received daily-delivered meals were more likely to report in worry about being able to remain in home and improvements in feelings of isolation and loneliness over the study period, compared to the control groups.
To read an executive summary of the study or the full report, please visit:More Than A Meal